Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Go fill in my copy - please

Someone told me one day that by taking a survey I would be "helping the disability community".  She didn't tell me why. "They need people who are paralyzed," she told me. (I suspected this was closer to the truth. )  And doesn't necessarily invalidate reason number one.

But here's what happened. I read the survey. The questions were unclear. I took a lot of my time away from my work that day trying to figure out what the researcher was asking. I had a deadline, as I often do. Two hours later  I gave up on the survey, emailed  my friend and explained that I couldn't take the survey and why. 

The main reason I usually don't complete a survey is because, after reading it over, I don't feel I can answer the questions consistently. It might be because the questions are too vague and open to too many answers. I don't want to spend all day trying to figure out the "best" answer. Or it might be because the questions are too intrusive. 

And there you have it. Surveys in and of themselves may not be good/bad things, but I've certainly run across surveys that are not a good thing for me. You may disagree - and feel free to go fill in my copy. Please.