Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wheelchair parts on the lam

The cushion is ordered and will be here in a week. I was told expediting it would cost as much as the item. Funny since it's made of foam which might even float. But part of the delay appears to be getting the medical manufacturer involved. I was told that yes shipping can be expedited but still there will be a number of days of delay anyhow.

Notice the word medical. That always seems to ensure things will be slowed down even though this item isn't custom made but is in a standard size. I forget my wheelchair is a medical item probably because our medical system never pays for it or parts or repairs or accessories. I do. And dearly because those prices assume insurers will pay.

Meanwhile I'm sitting on the sling of the wheelchair which has Velcro. Transferring off and on causes a sucking sound and Riley keeps jumping up to help when I get stuck. I'm also lower in the chair so reaching everything is different. But all in all this doesn't rack up there with having wheelchair things happen like broken casters, which makes the chair unusable.

I once was stuck between a medical supply company and a dealer who took six weeks to fix a simple part on a wheelchair.

Time moves slowly when it comes to wheelchair parts.

I'm tired of hearing about Medicare fraud by folks who could care less about how their actions raise prices for the rest of us and make it look to society as if disabled people are in on that. So many of the people I know pay themselves for wheelchairs and parts.

Wheelchair parts on the lam, for sure.




2 comments:

Ziggi said...

Hi Wheelie, Tough situation these days when it comes to wheelchair parts, accessories, and repairs. Medicare crying poor, manufacturers and equipment dealers crying poor. Wheelchair users? Well, their only the puppets caught up in all of this so they get to cry for the right reasons.

Ruth said...

Ziggi,
Appreciate all you do for wheelchair users.