Pages

Monday, December 8, 2008

Food for thought: : disability friendly service

My friend Sue didn't hesitate when asked where to go eat last night. She chose a restaurant we've been to before and based on the reception we got, I figured out that she goes there frequently. And it's easy to see why.

The person who sat us found a table where all of us could be comfortable, with lots of room, guide dog and wheelchair included. Waiters listened to the few things we needed and responded. A straw. A knife to make it easier to cut up food.

So I wasn't surprised, as the restaurant was emptying, to see another patron with a disability leaving on a Segway.

I know that I choose where to go as a consumer based on how disability friendly the service is - or not. I make decisions based on whether the parking is adequate, the restrooms are accessible, and the service meets my needs and I eliminate places where there's too much of a hassle.

If there isn't disability friendly service, I usually don't go back. Food for thought when you multiply our numbers as consumers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way, with stores too. Eventually they'll get that not providing everyone with the service they need will cause them to lose business, or at least that's what I tell myself.

Ruth said...

Sarah -yup :)

enjoyed reading through your blog-glad you commented!

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

I feel the same way, my money spends where I get treated well.. I also tip that way.

william Peace said...

Aside from restaurants the biggest space violators are toy stores that clutter up aisles in the Christmas season. The GAP also has very narrow aisles that I often rearrange--thankfully many of the tables clothes are displayed on have wheels that I push as needed. But like others I too shop at places that present few architectural barriers.