Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lunch in the hash marks

During my lunch hour I went out to pick up a warmer winter coat. Turns out the one I have is too difficult to get on by myself, so I needed one with velcro and more room to shrug into so I can get it on by myself.

I came out of the store and a car was parked in the hash marks next to my van. I assumed at first that the car was empty and had a handicap placard, and was going to call the police. But - alas!- I'm never done being surprised by what those who park illegally in handicap spots do as side shows.

The car not only had no placard, it was not only in the hash marks, but the driver was eating lunch.

I rolled over and explained that I needed her to move her car so I could deploy my ramp.

"I'm almost done with my lunch," she said.

I explained that I had a ramp, but I couldn't lower it with her car that close. I said "It comes down and out. It's seven feet long. And that's why parking in these spots is against the law without a permit, because then people like myself can't get in and out when I need to. In the cold."

"Ooooh," she said. "I'll move right away. Sorry."

And she pulled out. And I got in.

By the way, the handicap sign right in front of where she was illegally parked had a sign donated by a local store spelling out the fines and penalties, etc. and asking people not to use the spots without a permit. Not nearly as effective, however, as a shivering quad in 3D.

7 comments:

Pilgrim said...

One of my pet peeves. We don't need a ramp. Our son has a manual wheelchair we push, and can walk short distances, so we don't always use it.
I can't believe how inconsiderate people sometimes are. And how able some of the people with those placards are.

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

It never ends...Sorry you were cold.

Ruth said...

Greg- well at least I found a fabulous coat :)

Julana- thanks for leaving a comment- glad I found *your* blog!

FridaWrites said...

Reaction: anger. I also hate it when I see compact cars pull into the van spaces and people walk out of their cars--when a nonvan disability place is right next to it. I guess they never think about why someone might need it.

Pilgrim said...

You're welcome.
One thing my son's disability has done is bring me into closer contact with Christians from other denominations, and helped me develop an appreciation for the breadth of the church. I now have half a dozen Catholic friends, and I don't know if I had any, before he was born. One of them directed me to your blog.

Courageous Grace said...

While I definitely understand your frustration, I feel (from your description) an need to commend the woman for actually moving her car after you explained your situation. There are people (I know one personally and would smack him upside the head if he tried it while I was around) who would just sit there, laugh, and not move just to spite you. So at least she did the right thing in the end.

Sorry you had to wait any amount of time, though. In bad weather even a short amount of time can be torture. Since my mother also uses a motorized wheelchair, I do know that it's not recommended to use them in rain or extreme cold.

Ruth said...

Courageous Grace- I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. Commend her? No. I think she's lucky she didn't get a ticket.

After 15 years of being inconvenienced by people who park illegally, I usually call the police so they get a ticket, not just because of spiteful reactions like you describe- being laughed at, etc. but I also do it because there needs to be a deterrent so they stop doing it.