Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

"For Some It's the Present" : Nursing Homes for People with disabilities

I found this gem of a post over at Title Varies Slightly in which she writes about her experiences while in a nursing home.

She writes: "I wanted books. I wanted conversation. I wanted to see anyone with not-gray hair NOT in a uniform. Friends asked, “Is there anything you need?” I answered, “Quarter Pounder with cheese and large fries please.” They thought I was joking. I wasn’t.

The night the kitchen caught fire, they didn’t evacuate. They closed us all into our rooms so they would know where to find us if they had to evacuate later. I had the immense good fortune to be closed into the TV room (my room was on the other side of the kitchen), so I got to watch the whole drama unfold through the plate glass.

I was bullied and bossed by teenage employees, received my medications on a wildly varying schedule, and sometimes would have been given someone else’s meds if I hadn’t been aware enough to know the difference."

She was refused pain medication and placed in the Alzheimer's wing due to a bed shortage - and kept there. Go on over and check it out.

We still have so many young people with disabilities living like this every day.

No comments: