Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Being present for someone in difficult times...


When I return to my house I find that visitors have been there and left their cards, either a bunch of flowers, or a wreath of evergreen, or a name in pencil on a yellow walnut leaf or a chip.
Walden, Thoreau


I was reading Thoreau this morning who , in my opinion, was a bit too fond of his solitude. He wrote of not needing human company and extolled the virtues of his pond and surroundings. Although I, too, love nature, my reaction sometimes to his writing is that he protests too much!

However, what is interesting is that he wrote about his occasional visitors with such fondness and it clearly meant a great deal to him that people came even if he was out on one of his long walks. They would leave signs of their arrival, such as cards, flowers or a mark of their name. I saw this as proof of the fact that he really did not enjoy his total solitude as much as he pretended. But it also reminded me of a very hard time in my life and a friend who reached out when no one knew what to say.

I had a series of difficult things happen in my life - all in a row. People didn't understand and began avoiding me .
But one friend knew what to do. One day while I was out getting medical care, she stopped by my home and left a complete dinner for me with a card and her name on it. It read simply "Thinking of you".

As I went inside, my fears from the day began to dissolve and changed into gratitude. I felt better immediately. Instead of feeling alone, I realized that she, like many others who perhaps didn't know how to reach out, were with me in my emotional and physical pain. This was a sheer gift - and it wasn't about the meal (although that was , on a practical level, helpful). This kind act of my friend nourished my soul.

Like the gifts left at Thoreau's door by his friends, it was a true treasure to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, simple post. Well said.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how people avoid each other when going through tough times. After my accident, people came around but then stopped. Truth was they were tired of hanging around me when I was no longer as much fun! How could I be "fun" when I was trying to figure out how to manage my life after a really bad injury? So on top of losing friends, I got blamed too. But the friends who did stay around were really special. Things got easier with time but I also remember the kindnesses.

Rosemary said...

I truly believe that those fleeting thoughts to go call someone, etc., are the still small voice of God, that we so easily ignore. May we all pay heed to those urges to offer such little kindnesses today.