Pages

Friday, September 1, 2006

On St Giles' day...a prayerful effort toward social justice..

Not the goods of the world, but God. Not riches, but God. Not honors, but God. Not distinction, but God. Not dignities, but God. Not advancement, but God. God always and in everything.
– St. Vincent Pallotti

I've posted previously about St Giles, patron saint of the disabled. He's the saint of the day - who gave away his riches to the poor and had a special ministry for those with disabilities who, in those days, resorted to begging to get by. Through his work, they were provided with shelter and food.

The issues facing us today have changed to a large degree, although there are areas of the world where there hasn't been much progress. Many people with disabilities in our country are still unemployed and accessible housing is an issue. We pray for social justice - not for pity, but for empowerment - not for handouts nor with a sense of entitlement, but for open minds and opportunities. We pray for attitudinal barriers to lift as well as physical ones.

If we put God first, it will be a constant reminder that we live our lives according to His Will for us. Our willingness to keep trying in the face of adversities, to go against the tide, to bear with slights and the indignities of a social system that still patronizes us - all of this we must and can do. Why? Because God does not intend for us to bury our talents and gifts because our road is made more difficult by those who discriminate and are intolerant.

We must also have gratitude. Those of us who get up every day and go to work in wheelchairs - those of us who are blind and serve our community - on and on - we are the recipients of reform efforts by those who have gone before us. Let us remember with gratitude the progress we have made and look forward to a future of more improvements for our youngsters!

Let us also not exclude those among us who cannot work because of their disabilities and live hidden lives, often in poverty , without the resources, equipment and social and spiritual support they need. Their strength is an everpresent reminder of the resilience of the human spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know one guy in a wheelchair who lives around the block. I see him go by to the food store with packages or laundry because he doesn't even have a car. This made me think about what his life must be like. As a Catholic, I am so glad to see that awareness is improving and he could be more welcome in church. I know he stopped going years ago. I wish you well in your efforts here because this is a good cause and these people have no one to speak up for them. I thnk we look the other way too much.

Anonymous said...

I'm disabled and homebound. This post spoke to me because I feel left out. If I had the right equipment I could go out but can't get funding for wheelchair I need. It's hard sometimes but I have strong faith in God and pray that efforts will result in better living conditions for others years from now. I read your blog daily. God bless.