Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My love/hate relationship with Glee

I have a love/hate relationship with Glee.

I love that they have hired actors with disabilities for several characters with disabilities in the show.

I hate how they are sometimes portrayed.

For instance, last night's episode "Laryngitis" featured a male quadriplegic who was shown only in bed for both scenes. (I believe they said he was a C-4. I'm talking about the fictional character, not the actual actor). I have friends who are C-4's and they do stay in bed, but at night. During the day they are in wheelchairs.

There was a story line about how this character drove his power chair into the pool so perhaps someone can argue that he had no wheelchair. All I know is that the image of this quad in bed is seared in my mind- and now in many viewers' minds. I hate that.

I hate that because I spend a lot of time undoing myths and assumptions about what it's like to live with paralysis. Some assume I have no life. Some assume I am bedridden. Some assume I am sick all the time. Some assume I can't work. Some assume I'm ready to drive my power chair into a pool because if it happened to them they would. You get the picture.

I was hoping to see a vibrant character who was a quad. I was dreaming that his song would be sung from his wheelchair dressed to the hilt, not naked under a blanket from a hospital bed.

I don't think I'm asking too much, but many will say I am I suppose.

As for the scene about holding hands and whether quads can feel it - some can, some can't. I can't, but where the script told the actor to say that he remembered what it felt like when someone holds his hand, I think my response would be that when someone holds my hand, I feel it in my heart.

In my heart, I hope to see the talented young actor back again in his wheelchair. He gave a great performance. He sang beautifully. And I love that he was given a chance on TV.

I do love Glee for that. It's all a beginning.

Now how about hiring a writer who knows what living with quadriplegia can be like?

5 comments:

FridaWrites said...

This happened in Million Dollar Baby too. It's very strange.

Monday I got a question about whether I sleep in my chair--or rather a statement assuming I did. No wonder people think we don't...

I mean, I might sleep in my chair if I have to or take a nap in it as others might in a recliner, but it's just not bed.

Terri said...

I know what you mean. They have a character with Down syndrome who apparently lives in a nursing home... she should be living in her community. The controversies are leading to lots of conversations that wouldn't happen without Glee though... Sigh...

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

I actually shattered c4/c5 but I function at c6.... not that the specifics really matter.

It is difficult when individuals are portrayed being so dependent. It adds to the stereotypes and reinforces negative beliefs.

I believe there are small advances being made in the entertainment world to portray individuals with disabilities as we actually are. However there is a long way to go to change the stereotypes and prejudice.

Kim Anderson said...

I also HATED the disability plotline immensely. Especially because, you know, he has the exact same disability that I do, and the writers managed to make him extremely pathetic. In fact, I don't think they could have made him more pitiable if they were trying for it. To me, it just says that people with severe disabilities are nothing but a drain on productive people (a.k.a. his mom -- who was all "I've been on the phone with insurance all morning" and "time for physical therapy") and that they deserve our pity (Rachel visiting him again was nothing more than that), and that they make no noticeable impact on society at all (he was in bed both times not doing anything besides taking up space). It was hugely offensive to me.

imfunnytoo said...

Everyone I know watches this show...except me...and this discussion makes me glad I don't.

If we're going to be Tiny Tims on TV...one step forward two steps back.