Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Just back from the Abilities Expo

I just returned from the New York Metro Abilities Expo. If you've never been to an expo, I suggest you check one out if you can. They have everything from wheelchairs to adaptive sports exhibitions to information booths and more. It's a great place to network and explore different ways of doing things.

I was especially impressed with the young man who climbed up the adaptive rock climbing exhibit. He made it all the way to the top while his service dog looked up protectively. My friend was able to get a picture and I'll try to post it when she sends it to me.

I also saw the Wheelchair Super X. I don't have a video from today, but below is a video from the LA Expo.



About half a dozen youngsters in power chairs raced around the super x track before the demonstration began. They started out a bit tenuous and then picked up speed with their parents running after them. Guess who won? I saw some journalists there taping and if I find any video I'll link to it.

UPDATE: here's some great pictures of the expo from ThisAbled including the rock climbing and a motorcycle with ramp access!

More to come....

1 comment:

Disabled NYC said...

Thrills, chills, and spills!