Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Removable Parts

is showing in NY this week. It's a theatre work about voluntary amputation (also called BIID) and devotees, a subject discussed in our recent blog carnival about sexuality and disability.

"Body Integrity Identity Disorder, or BIID, is a psychological condition in which the individual requests an elective amputation. Individuals with this condition experience the persistent desire to have their body physically match the idealized image they have of themselves." via biid.org

I've linked to a NY Times review above.

4 comments:

Wheelchair Dancer said...

I'm just cussed enough to want to go and see.

I expect this to be a disaster ... there's a panel on "no disability, no drama: creating absurd characters afterwards." I am so going to be there ... with my most critical brain out.

I called ahead. There's no designated wheelchair seating, but the ticket agent seems to think the theatre is wheelchair accessible.

Could be interesting.

WCD

Ruth said...

Definitely could be interesting. Can't wait to hear about it.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Interesting indeed. What I don't understand is that when I was severely anorexic which I would call, "the persistent desire to have their body physically match the idealized image they have of themselves", that was considered to be a not so great thing. And indeed the motivations and feelings around starvation were closely analyzed - is the same true for BIID?

Ruth said...

Well I checked out one BIID FAQs and let me just say as a disclaimer that all I know is a result of reading those but it basically seemed to say that, short of surgery, many with this disorder aren't going to feel right in their bodies - it just seemed rather pessimistic as to what therapy could do. However that was just one site so if anyone out there is familiar with this, feel free to add a comment.