Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Been there, blogged that

I've repeatedly blogged about inclusion on Wheelie Catholic. And I've certainly mentioned that, as spiritual beings, all of us are equal children of God which really blows away a lot of societal views on disabled people. I've also blogged about living with quadriplegia. Some days I feel as if all I've written just blows away in the wind. That discouragement, however, doesn't last long because I've learned not to invest much of anything in results.

There is a sense of peace that comes from "resting in God's love", knowing that God sees me in a way that is quite different than the world does. We have work to do to attain inclusion here on earth and that current reality affects how I'm seen as a person with quadriplegia. Because of these perceptions, it's often not easy working toward inclusion. In fact, because of the very barriers toward inclusion, including a lack of dialogue about the realities of what people with disabilities need to adapt, my ability to work at projects or tasks toward inclusion presently would require me to be able bodied - or afford a staff of folks to physically assist me at my own cost- in some cases . Sadly, I have to turn down certain requests due to a lack of resources and, to compound that frustration, some feel this shows a lack of commitment on my part when, actually, I'd much rather circumstances were such that I could say yes. It's humbling to realize that what I can offer is limited by the very real fact that I am a self supporting person with quadriplegia. I've learned not to blame anyone, God or man, for these limits. And that has to include myself as long as I'm doing the best I can with what I've presently got.

Those people who quietly travel the path of my life with me on a daily basis know me in a way that others never will. I've had a disability for many years now and have experienced everything from outright discrimination to complete acceptance and love. I'm very grateful toward those who have helped me learn that it's okay to take care of my own health and work toward inclusion in manageable ways - and turn down those 'gigs' or opportunities that put my health in jeopardy.

I'm not invested in succeeding with inclusion - somehow attaining a state of inclusion on earth - because that's not in my hands. I'm content with working toward it in manageable ways. And if all I can do is blog about my experiences and others' who have disabilities - well that's okay. If I'm asked to speak and I can get there, I'll do that. However, I have to deal with transportation issues now that I'm using a power chair. If I'm asked to write something and I can do it, I'll do that. A radio show? A magazine piece? You got it.

As I look back on a year of blogging toward inclusion, I've done all of these things and I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had. I haven't said no to anything except when I've been asked to do what's not manageable in my present circumstances. Only God knows what that is. And, perhaps, those who read my blog and care to learn what it's really like to live with quadriplegia.