Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Thank you, kind sir

I heard a commotion behind me. Apparently my Drink-Aide (a large water bottle attached to the back of my wheelchair for hydration) was leaking onto the floor. Two women were pointing, starting to shout that water was going all over the place.

"You need to fix it," one said loudly.

As if I was going to suddenly be able to jump out of the power chair, walk around it, grab the bottle and right it, I thought.

"I can't fix it myself," I explained. "I need help with it." Being paralyzed, there really wasn't a whole lot I could do about this happening behind me.

It seemed we were at an impasse. Neither woman moved and I - couldn't.

A man walked up behind me and righted the Drink-Aide, stopping the "flood". "It just got loose," he said. Then he positioned the bottle so I could drink out of it.

Disaster averted. He left before I could properly thank him.

Thank you, kind sir.

2 comments:

~ Kirra ~ said...

The samaritan of common-sense.

And the blinkered ignorance of those women. I hope they put their heads down in shame - when they saw this samaritan rectify the situation quickly and quietly.

Ruth said...

Love that - the samaritan of common sense.