Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Healthcare, quadriplegics and issues for the future

Dr. Alan Pitt wrote about his experiences with his quadriplegic mother's care in a piece that addressed her immediate care after her riding accident as well as her long term care.

It's an excellent article. Among other things, Dr. Pitt talks about the long term needs of quadriplegics and "replacing the shoebox" regarding care issues - how the use of technology to replace all those bits and pieces of the patient's record carried around to physician after physician is necessary for better care.

Interestingly enough, Dr. Pitt writes about how he tried to get training in voice recognition for his mother, who is a college professor, when she was in rehab. He mentioned how important it is to have access to voice recognition (and training) after an injury so someone can resume their occupation and everyday tasks as soon as possible. he even mentioned that voice recognition should be totally hands-free. I second that vote. I can't tell you how many people I've met- young people in their 20s and 30s-, who struggled with voice recognition, and that delayed their reentry into the workforce or became a barrier they couldn't overcome.

Ironically, although I really wanted to write more about this article, I just spent three hours fixing a problem on my computer with my voice-recognition. It's not an issue that would take most people three hours to fix. But because it required me to use an assistive device, it took me much longer. Hands-free- I'll vote for that. When situations like this morning occur, I can't help but wonder why there isn't free remote help -some kind of handsfree solution- for those of us who are disabled if the software comes with a list of possible glitches that are pages long. If there are any resources out there offering remote assistance that you know of, please share them.

Anyway, I encourage you to take a look at Dr. Pitt's excellent article that I linked to above.

1 comment:

Disabled NYC said...

This is why I'm still using old DragonDictate 3.0 instead of its younger, flashier cousin, NaturallySpeaking. But you're right, there's no reason that voice recognition software and the inevitable technical support can't be completely hands-free; the technology already exists for a remote user to control your computer. (And let me toss in a vote for a discrete speech option for those of us who have trouble with continuous speech voice recognition.)