Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

More on the Abilities Expo

First of all, let me provide the schedule. This weekend it is in Edison NJ, ending today. It will be in Anaheim, CA the weekend of May 29-31; in Chicago, IL the weekend of June 26-28 and Atlanta, GA the weekend of November 4-6, 2009.

This year's expo seemed to have more accessible vehicles on the floor, with different variations. There was a crossover from Toyota, with a turny passenger seat and scooter lift in the back, as well as the rear and side entry vans, a Honda Element and others. Quickie, Colours, TiLite, Permobil, Rascal, Pride, Top End and Invacare were all there with wheelchairs and scooters.

I purchased a TeleStik reacher because,for the first time, it was quad friendly. It came with a cuff that requires no hand movement. The TeleStik has an adhesive disk to pick up items (washable when it loses its sticky power), a magnet and a hook and can be used extended or while shorter for things like elevator buttons, etc. I plan on attaching it to my power chair now that I can use one with the adaptation. It cost $25. They can be found online at www.telestik.com or reached toll free at 877-299-2982.

There was a fashion show by a company called Lega Wear, which tailors clothes for those with disabilities. If you send them your measurements, choose colors and a design, they will deliver the clothes to you. They can be found online at www.legawear.com Their business suits were very nice, but out of my price range at $450.

I'm happy to report that the accessible bathroom situation improved. There was a handicap stall with a door. They did keep the double toilet with a curtain set up as well, which was used for those with scooters who couldn't fit into the handicap stall.

The expo is under new management. There seemed to be more exhibitors than last time I went, with more of an emphasis on senior products as well as disability products. There were still more people with disabilities and their families than seniors, but we did run into an older couple who goes every year to check out products. So if anyone has a product that falls into these categories, it's important to remember that as baby boomers age, these events will cover both markets.

The special events included a job fair on Friday, a fashion show and wheelchair sports exhibitions. There are also valuable workshops offered by professionals.

On a personal note, I met Mark from Wheelchair Junkie and thanked him for all of his work on behalf of power chair users, writing articles that educate and inform and also being kind enough to answer questions to keep people rolling. He also blogs here. author Gary Karp was there signing autographs, but there was too much of a crowd for me to say hi. He does, however, have a great smile. I ran into a few wheelchair tennis friends, which is also fun. And I got to see the accessible racing car I blogged about last week, yellow hubcaps and all.

There were a few offerings that stood out in my mind. See and Be Safe offered reflective safety products by Drive Master. I definitely put those on my wish list. I was also interested in the Quadriciser, from which you can exercise on a padded seat or from your own wheelchair (depending on the model). It puts you through a range of motion exercises and would enhance overall health. I watched folks trying it out over the course of the day and was amazed at the number of individuals and disabilities it addresses. I wish more gyms and health centers would buy these items and provide usage at an hourly rate since so few are able to get them.

So here's a video from See and Be Safe. I hope some of you get to go to the expos near you.

3 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Reachers can be very helpful!

I like the reflectors--those are nice aesthetically--I like the blue stripes.

Ralph said...

Great post! The links you left go to some really amazing products, the Quadricizer! That rig is awesome.

Ruth said...

Frida- I like the blue stripes too.

Ralph- thanks. The Quadricizer was very impressive in person. Awesome machine.