Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Everybody understands

I went up to the disability expo today with a friend. And even though it would be laughable to expect to find a van access spot free at a place where so many people bring vans with ramps and lifts, there was no problem with parking.

Because everybody understands.

I parked in two spots so I'd have room to let the ramp down and up. I didn't have to leave a cone to remind people not to park just as crookedly right next to me, concerned they might think I'd started a new parking pattern.

Because everybody understands.

And when I went into the ladies room, I was able to get into the handicap stall. No able bodied family members or visitors were using it. In fact, a woman held the door for me as I backed my power chair in so it didn't swing at me.

Okay so I'll stop saying it.

But I have to add that -

when kids in power wheelchairs zipped around, no one said to them "You're breaking the speed limit" or "watch out!" In fact, it wasn't a big deal at all because they were kids - playing - with each other.

What a community we have when we get together, those of us who journey through this life with a disability, a loved one with a disability, and those who are allies.

9 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Even though I was the only person using a scooter or wheelchair at a disability event I went to (some others used them part-time but didn't bring them into the hotel), I also experienced the same level of understanding and consideration. It is so incredibly rare to be at an event full of people and not have them crashing into me or one another. Everyone there knew we all hurt and people were careful around each other--we all moved normally, but there was none of this brushing against or pushing past that you get at other events. A nice break for all of us.

Disability Expo isn't in my area for a while--by the time I learned about it, it was just past. But I plan to go next time. It would be great for people to actually try products instead of having to buy them sight unseen and guess whether that's what will work.

Never That Easy said...

Being able to be somewhere where people just get it: how amazing. I hope you're enjoying the rest of your weekend as well.

Ruth said...

Frida - yes, I used to get that reprieve at wheelchair tennis events and miss it.

Never That Easy - it's beautiful here :) Hope you're enjoying your weekend too.

weeble said...

I enjoyed your blog today. To be at an event where everybody understands... aah.

I came your way via Brokenclay.org

Ruth said...

weeble - its definitely an aah.

thanks for stopping by - and for your comment :)

Full Tilt said...

Thanks much for the information on Disability Expo and the products. It isn't coming here, so I will check products via the web.

Ruth said...

Full Tilt-
That's too bad there isn't one near you. If I find any more info on the products, I'll share it.

Anonymous said...

I'm hearing impaired but can share much of your experience about such events.

It is just a so amazing feeling when you after some hours feel relaxed that you don't have to care about everything so much yourself because everyone understands.

And that feeling lasts for days when the event is over. And it is really nice when you are all disabled and can joke about it. :-)

Ruth said...

Anonymous-
It is an amazing feeling! The humor I've run into within the disability community is great too - leaves me smiling always. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment.