Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

We rely on each other ah ah

I'm taking a few days off over the holiday to try to get rid of this cold/flu whatever I've had for almost two months now off and on. I can't get a flu shot due to an allergy, so the winter "stuff" is hard for me to avoid.

So I'm watching Barry Manilow on the Today show, performing in the streets, singing the words we rely on each other, ah-ah.

It's Black Friday. Stores are opening their doors at 5 a.m. with heavy discounts. According to reporters, some of the early shoppers are buying coupon items, then reselling them in the parking lot to make money. Large flat screen TV's, blu ray disc players. That kind of technology - you need one to appreciate the other. If you don't buy the first one, you don't really need the other one is what my Scottish relatives would have said. But they were holdouts even buying a radio.

As life has gone on, I've been glad they taught me some of their values.

They raised nine children during the Depression. The youngest got food first. This became a family tradition, although in later generations it applied to the luxury of who got the last piece of pie.

We rely on each other ah ah.

And they used that radio to listen to FDR's fireside chats.

No comments: