Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

For Thanksgiving, with gratitude to my readers


Dear Sacred Heart of Jesus,

I love You so much
and I give You my heart.
Help me to love God.
Help me to love my neighbor
as a child of God.
Help me to love myself
as a child of God.

Amen

As a child I often said this prayer. Lately I've been saying it again. Along with reading Psalm 146.

It's a simple and loving prayer.

I recall the laminated picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus that I carried in my school bag every day. When I graduated from Catholic elementary school and went to ninth grade in public school, my new best friend Roseanne was a graduate of the "other" Catholic elementary school in town. We met when my laminated picture of the sacred heart fell out of one of my books during class. Roseanne saw it and handed it to me, saying this prayer.

We both smiled.

The Sacred Heart of Jesus is a reminder of the intense love Christ has for us, a spiritual love , a tender love. And what better symbol than a heart? Those who have felt this love surely know that it's meant to be shared.

On this Thanksgiving, my heart is filled with gratitude and love. I have been so blessed in my life. I see the hand of God every day through the hands of others who offer help - cut my food (Meredith), button my coat, or even lovingly lift my tea bag before my tea steeps too much (Wheelchair Dancer). I am surrounded by the love of God through friends, many online, whose kindness has sustained me through difficult times. A comment, a word, a prayer. It matters. (Speaking of which, Wheelchair Dancer is recovering from hip surgery, so why not leave her good wishes for a swift recovery? She'll get them when she's feeling better!)

I also want to thank those readers who have helped me help others. Your comments to those struggling, your donation of equipment, and your continuing support of those in need matter. Your acts of love have made Wheelie Catholic a catholic blog, one that encompasses the hearts of many.

Thank you.

I am taking Thanksgiving off from blogging, but wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 82 years old. My husband and I read your blog every day. Thank you for the Medicare information. Happy Thanksgiving.

Ethel

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ruth! You have given me far more than I can ever say.

I'm going to print your prayer up top and keep it with me.

Enjoy the holiday.

Thank you for being YOU.

xoxo

BG

Ruth said...

Ethel- Happy Thanksgiving - so glad the info was helpful.

BG- Happy Thanksgiving!!xoxo

Unknown said...

Best of Thanksgiving wishes!

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

Ruth said...

Thanks, Patrick - hope your Thanksgiving was good too :)

Elizabeth McClung said...

I'm glad that you had a thankful chrismas, cheers to you and to meredith, and a very Catholic (which means united or universal right?), blog.