Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Disabled and not disabled

In his victory speech last night, President-Elect Obama named us. He recognized us. And he put us first.

This is a fact that is being greeted with joy and tears. Personally I skipped a breath.

But the words boldly stood. For the first time, many people around the world heard people with disabilities as a group recognized separately in this country at a pivotal time. It is a milestone to be named, much less named first.

So often out in society people with disabilities are treated as if we're invisible. People may stare and say they cannot help it, continuing to react in ways that are rationalized by their fears and uncertainties in approaching and interacting with us. It feels dehumanizing to me as an adult with a disability, much less its effect on a child with a disability.

Yet it is all quite simple when we are named and included. I am disabled. Some are not disabled. We are all equal.

This is a truth to carry.

Smile at me. I am disabled. Speak to me. You are not disabled. Laugh with me. Maybe both of us are disabled. Work with me. Dance with me. Sing with me. But most importantly, recognize my presence as you would anyone else's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last night, for a moment, there were no Others.