Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Defeat of Amendment 51

I refer readers to a post by Bad Cripple about the defeat of Amendment 51. Please take a moment and read this piece about how the voters of Colorado defeated this on election day, an underreported story. From the blog:

While the economy is undoubtedly a major factor, I think at a fundamental level the percentage of people that voted against Amendment 51 indicate an inherent bias against people with developmental disabilities exists. Given this, what you do not read about is how woefully underfunded Colorado expenditures are for people with developmental disabilities. According to David Braddock at the University of Colorado expenditures in the state are 73 % below the national average. In rejecting Amendment 51 by a ratio of nearly 2-to-1 the voters have sent a clear message to the disability community: budgets are tight, revenues are decreasing and we do not value your existence. This reality has and will continue to hurt disabled people and their families. Simply put there is no safety net in Colorado for a group of people that desperately need one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your facts are wrong.

The tax was to be 0.1% the first year and 0.2% the next year and continuing. It was NOT just a two year tax, but a continuing tax after taht.

As a supporter and volunteer for Amendment 51, I am greatly disappointed, but you need to be sure to have accurate facts while discussing this topic.

There is a national movement to end wait lists in all states. View the web site at

http://www.noewait.net

Ruth said...

I just checked and apparently you did find and correct the original post over at Bad Cripple, where this was written. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You are more gracious than I is all I can say. Which is why I don't blog.

Anonymous said...

I live in Colorado, and I voted for it. This is the kind of tax I like to pay - and I'm sorry not more people do.