Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hearing on restraining order held : the Race case

I found this interesting post about Carol Race, the mother of the boy with autism who is fighting the church's restraining order, which contains a letter from a priest who knows her. She was in court yesterday, but no decision was rendered. The court reminded those present that the scope of inquiry was whether harassment occurred, now that the situation has been taken to a court of law under a restraining order.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I've watched this case with great sadness. My eldest son is autisti, though very high functioning. Having had to restrain my son and help him transition when things were so different, my sympathy is all with Carol Race. To change a long-standing routine can completely exhaust the family of an autistic child. The damage on that front has already been done.

I am cynical enough not to be surprised. When I bring it up to people, they cite to me the details they ahve learned from news reports. They do not even know half the story, of that I am sure. Mothers of children with autism rarely can express the multitude of ways in which their lives are different. I don't even speak with much authority ehre, because my child is high-functioing, and will be an independent adult. We are so proud of him. But, I know so many women who rarely complain, and work long hours just to ensure some kind of livable atmosphere for their children.

God bless Carol Race! I pray and pray for her. She is doing the right thing.

Ruth said...

Kristen- I agree that the media has done a lot of damage because of vague and speculative reporting. My prayer always is that parents who have children with disabilities will find support, but sadly I'm not surprised by this either.

Thanks for your comments, especially as a mom of a child with autism.