Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2008

What she said

I just finished reading an honest and heartfelt post by Elizabeth about some Christians who backed off after she told them she had a terminal diagnosis. She writes about how they avoided her. She writes about how they said they would pray for her and hope for a miracle..and then backed off from her and how hurtful that was. She writes:

I AM a Christian so I have nothing against prayer, it is just I never expected “I’ll pray for you” to be synonymous with, “I am about to sever all communication with you.” And indeed since then I have noticed that for some people, people with ample availability to do more “pray for you” actually came with a pride in their apparent helplessness ("sorry, dedicated to the XXXXX Ministry, I leave this in our loving Father's hands").

For those who don’t know the story of Jesus after “the last supper” Jesus went up to a garden taking with him three of his closest friends. Why? Because he knew he was to be in pain, and soon die and was scared. He went up and prayed, crying and so depressed that he wished to die and when done returned to find his friends….asleep. With a certain anger and desperation he said, “Can’t you even stay awake with me for one hour?” Now THAT, was Jesus’ prayer to his friends. A prayer saying “be with me, comfort me.”


I'm going to go read a book because I can't put it any better than she did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it very sad that Christians would react this way. When we turn away those who need us most, it's time to question if we're living our faith.

Bob