Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

How gas prices affect volunteer programs and services

I just read a piece about how gas prices are affecting local Meals on Wheels programs because volunteers, some of whom are retired, can't afford to fill their tanks to deliver the meals.

Yesterday I was at a flea market the local rescue/fire squad had and the members were telling me that the price of gas is cutting into their budget and they are in need of more funding for it.

When I watched the movie Hogfather last night about how a villain went after mythical figures like the Tooth Fairy and Hogfather (Santa Claus), I kept thinking about how we have villains like the Variable Rate Mortgage Monster and the Gargantuan Gas Gaffe, who have the power to stop people from doing good deeds.

If you're reading this and you can, please keep in mind your local volunteer programs and services when/if you can donate, like I did. What I gave was minimal but it's better than nothing. I'd hate to see people who have their heart in the right place unable to continue to provide services and programs.

Just sayin'.

The movie was pretty good, by the way. Long. Three hours. But the ending alone is worth it. If you'd like to see it, you'll have to watch the movie. But if you'd like to hear someone else explain what was so special about it, watch this:

No comments: