Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sen Harkin and the ADA Restoration Act

I've blogged before about the importance of the ADA Restoration Act. This time I'm pointing readers to a video where Sen. Harkin, a proponent of the original ADA, speaks to why we need this new legislation to restore the original intent of the ADA.


The first hearing on the ADA Restoration Act is scheduled in two days, this Thursday, October 4. (This information is from the House website).

Thursday 10/04/2007
10:00 AM
2141 Rayburn House Office Building
Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil
Rights, and Civil Liberties
Hearing on H.R. 3195, the “ADA Restoration Act of
2007”

The goal is to get 218 co sponsors of this bill by Thursday. There are currently, as of this afternoon, 207 of them. Please click above to go over to the ADA Restoration blog for the latest news about this legislation, read its language and check out case studies.

2 comments:

Andrea Shettle, MSW said...

Given that Senator Harkin's brother is deaf, it is ironic beyond words that he apparently didn't bother to ensure that his video image went out WITHOUT CAPTIONS -- which he would surely know deaf people (like me) rely on in order to gain access to spoken video materials in the same way that wheelchair users rely on ramps in order to enter buildings. It is especially ironic when the whole point of the ADA -- and, of course, the Restoration Act -- is to help STOP DISCRIMINATION against people with disabilities.

Or is there a captioned version of this video out there somewhere and I missed seeing it?

I've been blogging a lot about the ADA Restoration Act at reunifygally.wordpress.com, and also linking to blogs written by other people on the Restoration Act. However, because most of my readers are deaf (or Deaf or hard of hearing) I generally don't link to uncaptioned videos because they wouldn't be able to view them.

However, I hope you do continue blogging on the Restoration Act (I know it isn't your fault that this video isn't captioned!). If you do, I'd like to know about it so I can link to subsequent posts on this topic. You can come to my blog and leave a note for me there with the full URL to make sure I don't miss it.

Thanks!

Ruth said...

Andrea,
I did look for a video with captions BUT I didn't find one and I had to get back to work at my day job. Maybe there is one ....if you run across one let me know and I'll put it up.