Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Peter Apps - back to work with a disability

In his article, Apps writes about the changes in his life as a result of acquiring a disability - and how the system and people around him have responded. He has returned to work for ReutersAlert in its London office

He writes:

"There was the unwelcome, if not surprising, realisation that the damage done to my spinal cord when our vehicle slammed into the tractor was too bad for me to recover use of my limbs, leaving me needing everything to be done for me by carers.

That costs money I cannot afford. I was rendered dependent on a British welfare state already openly struggling with limited resources and an ageing population.

...

By and large people are tolerant of the inconveniences I pose. They have got used to wheeling me about, feeding me beer through a straw, and are less phased by the violent spasms that twist my wrists sideways and throw my legs up from the chair.

There are huge restrictions. It takes two people to get me up and put me to bed. If I had two full-time carers, I could do as I chose but with only one I am tied to when a second person comes in. Being home for bed at ten limits my social life. "

Via thestar.com

Click above to read the rest of the article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guess is he has more help than most people get in the US if he has 24 hour assistance. I guess it's through his job and even though he doesn't like having only one full time 'carer' many here don't have that from what I see among my friends.

It's an interesting perspective on someone who is newly disabled and dealing .