Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Guess what I was doing at 2 a.m.?

Fighting with a hospital bed. Or, rather, its plug.

It's true. Have you ever seen those scenes from a movie where someone visiting a patient gets into a hospital bed and plays with the controls, making the bed go up and down repeatedly? Looks like fun, doesn't it?

However, that assumes that the bed is plugged in. Mine wasn't last night. It wouldn't move at all. I can tell when my hospital bed is unplugged because the picture of the little nurse with the cap on isn't lit up. And I needed to adjust the angle of the bed because my neck was screaming in pain.

I remembered that I asked my aide to unplug the bed so there would be room to plug in my scooter charger the other day and, since I lack the dexterity to switch plugs, I decided it would be better to leave the scooter charger in. My big plan has been to find a way to get the bed plugged in simultaneously since, after all, we do live in the great technology age, but I haven't got around to it.

I know - I realized last night at 2 a.m. that it should have been on my priority list.

But getting back to my bed. Which I wanted to do. I was really tired - and hot. And, it being 2 a.m. and all, I turned to the little nurse in the cap and said "Help!" She didn't answer me. (OK, so a quad living alone can have fantasies).

So what to do ? If my neck wasn't screaming in pain, I would have just gone to sleep, but I decided that I'd try to plug in the bed. I transferred out of the bed and into my wheelchair. Then I got my quad reacher and got it to grip the scooter plug in the wall and tried to yank it out. It wouldn't work. I should know this because I've tried to do this movement many times. But I tried a few more. Apparently I don't have enhanced dexterity at 2 a.m. Surprise, surprise.

And then I heard them. Teens going home - walking past my window. Teens with hands that work. Slightly inebriated teens - from the sound of them, but teens who could plug in a hospital bed. I rolled out onto the porch and yelled over to them.

So it was that my bed got plugged in by a teen who, when I thanked him, replied "No, this is good. I can tell my mom I stopped and helped you plug your bed in when she's mad at me for breaking curfew."

A win-win. I gave them some coffee and they called his mom to pick them up. Meanwhile we played with the hospital bed.

Just like in the movies.

6 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

a vivid well written post which showed your resourcefullness or desperation or ability to bully the neighbors - I am glad that you got someone to change the plug and you got to sleep. There is some part of not sleeping and being in pain when time seems to turn into this long endless tunnel. Horrid. But again, very well written.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a team rescue at 2 a.m. LOL I hope you get an extra switch in for the plug. I run out of them too with all the devices I have around here, pumps, etc.

Dream Mom said...

I love this story! Not because you couldn't get your bed plugged in but because you made me laugh with the teen's comment. I admire your resourcefulness. Sorry to hear your neck was hurting. I am hoping you feel better now.

Right now, I am sitting here with exactly four diapers left for Dear Son and no way to the store (I can't lift him into my car plus he's sleeping.). I can wait until the babysitter comes in the morning and get diapers and be late to work or I could go ask the neighbor to come over and sit here for 1/2 hour so I can go to store, something I've never done. Gosh, I hate this. I absolutely hate asking for help.

Ruth said...

elizabeth, - thank you! appreciate that you understand, just one of those nights...

hotwheelz - never enough outlets!

dream mom- Am feeling better, thanks! I hate asking for help too but sometimes there's just no way around it, really...

Rosemary said...

Learning to ask for help is something everybody needs to work on, not just those with disabilities. Caregivers particularly need all the help they can get. It's good for the person who is helping, too!! I never asked for enough help as a caregiver, and not I'm paying the price with a body that is worn out.

I love your sense of humor and always enjoy reading your funny posts. You make my day!!

Ruth said...

db- aw thanks for your comment and stopping by. I agree that everyone needs to learn to ask for help - it's seen as a weakness rather than a strength - to all of our detriment.