Pages

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Riding on Air - I made the Switch...

It's similar to a Mac versus Windows decision for wheelchair users- what kind of wheelchair cushion should I use? They make cushions in many types - gel, air, foam and honeycomb materials.

I've tried them all over the past dozen years. The gel one bottomed out too quickly and, as one of my tennis friends said, "It's like sitting in a pit then." The foam ones were okay at first, but then the issue of pressure sores reared its ugly head. The honeycomb is a nice change, but sometimes is too stiff for my taste.

I know. I'm sounding like the Princess and the Pea. But I sit on this thing for many hours a day.

So I decided to try an air cushion. However, I have a big cat and was concerned about him using the cushion/wheelchair as a landing pad followed by a loud hissing noise. Everyone assured me that they have cats and air cushions and everything is just fine.

"Besides," they add, "you get a repair kit with the cushion."

So I sighed and ordered the Roho Mosaic, the (cheapest) least expensive air cushion I could find that I wanted. It came in a box with a hand pump, a repair kit (good) and a cover. The instructions were so easy that I was able to get it pumped up (with the help of the FedX guy whose hands DO work) in minutes. I found a comfortable inflation level, placed it on my wheelchair and - voila - it's in use.

It's as comfortable as the $300 Roho one of my friends bought, which I'd read on a message board. It's not divided into quadrants and I can't control the inflation level as much that way with this cheaper model, but that's okay. I'd rather get by with a less expensive version in any of the medical equipment I use that falls in the category of "Experimental". It's simply a financial decision, not necessarily a medical one at this point.

And that discussion belongs under a different label.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Air cushions are the best. Mosaic is a good cushion. One of my friends has used those for a long time with few repairs. Good luck with your new ride.

Rosemary said...

We still make good use of the Rhoho cushion that my Mama had when she broke her hip!! It's on it's third family member now (not counting me), and has never had a puncture. I've used it when I stayed at the hospital with our daughter for several months, as those hospital recliners are torture racks.

She had the $300 kind, and it's like sitting on a cloud. I have a fractured coccyx from childhood that spread when I got pregnant and never went completely back together, so I love it!

Ruth said...

Wow good to know they are that durable. This is undoubtedly the most comfortable cushion I've ever had - and I've tried quite a few. I'll probably buy a more expensive one at some point. This impresses me so far - my cat has been off/on it , jumped, landed, etc. and no punctures.

Rosemary said...

I just happened to run across this Rhoho on eBay, with 4 days to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230092010602&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013