Pages

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Faith and doubt



I remember once driving through very thick fog on a rural road.

I picked my way along the road and it seemed as if I was the only person in the world on that drive. There were no other cars, no headlights, no signs of life - just an endless sea of gray patchy fog. I made it through - but I remember that feeling. It was as if there was no horizon ahead - and no line of demarcation behind me. It was a disorienting and very lonely feeling.

Sometimes life can feel like that.

Tonight I spoke with a woman with a disability who has a huge medical decision to make. It is very hard for her to know what to do and she told me that she's never felt so alone in her life because this medical decision will have an enormous impact on her future, yet she's unsure what to do. She's full of doubt.

I spoke to her about difficult decisions I've had to make - and listened to her. We prayed together. We talked about faith and doubt. As we said goodbye, the image of being in that fog came into my mind.

Let's pray for her as she travels through it.

No comments: