Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Needs of caregivers

I just got an email from Tom who has ALS. He asked for some info on caregivers and their needs. If you click above it leads you to an excellent series of articles in Catholic 55 Plus on that subject. I used some of their handouts for a talk on caregivers I gave at my parish (the author gives permission to use the quizzes for parish events- please check the copyright limits).

This is an extremely important area of concern for those of us with disabilities that make us physically dependent on others. Our caregivers need to have their boundaries respected, need to be able to communicate with us about what they are/are not comfortable about and need to have their needs met. This can only be accomplished with a good working relationship and lots of boundary setting and self examination on our parts.

I like this series in the link because it gives caregivers some tips and also ways to check what areas need attention in their relationship with their loved one/care recipient. I suggest that Tom's wife look this over as a start so she can maybe bring in more help and get some respite care.

The important thing to realize is, humbling as it is, no one can do everything, even a spouse. Remember, there is a God - and it's not us.

I will have more materials on this topic and email me if you have private concerns and don't wish to post publicly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks Ruth!

Tom