Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2006

activities of daily living




That's what they call things when you're disabled. ADL's.

So, curious, I googled "quadriplegic cooking". Nothing came up. NADA. Not encouraging.

Then I googled "wheelchair cooking". First thing that comes up is a link to a blog where a paraplegic shows safety tips for people cooking in wheelchairs. (This reminds me of the occupational therapist who, when I asked what I could learn to cook, suggested I first buy a welder's apron and mask. Wisecracker.)

The next link was entitled "Death by wheelchair". (I'm not making this stuff up - I'm on a break from work and don't have time.) What is this - to scare us? If we get hungry enough, that won't work!

I didn't bother to google "quadriplegic changing sheets on bed" "quadriplegic vacuuming" or "quadriplegic taking garbage out" although I am sure there are some low injury quads who can do these things. Google, my friends, doesn't think so, I'm sure.

But if you google "quadriplegic skydiving" you get some information. Ok, so it's tandem. That just means the quad is strapped onto some able bodied (death wishing)umm nice person. It doesn't make sense. That's not an essential activity of daily living, is it? So we can go sky dive and get information about that but can't cook?

On the way back from your sky dive, make sure you quads stop at McDonald's!

(I know for a fact that some quads use the George Foreman grill illegally WITHOUT a welder's mask. But don't tell anyone you heard it here.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok stop it. Now I'm not getting my work done either. Distracting me. LOL

Anonymous said...

My favorite way to cook is the microwave . very safe. Also my mom.

Anonymous said...

I use the Foreman grill and a microwave. I also eat a lot of pizza. Welder's mask isn't a bad idea for next time I try an open flame stove. But I'm not disabled. I'm just a single guy who never learned how to cook right.