Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Faith in any circumstances




The image of Christ praying in the garden of Gethsemane is etched in the mind of every Catholic. But I don't think I reallly thought about the suffering Christ endured until I faced situations in my life where I begged God to change my circumstances and "to take this cup away from me. "

It's easy to feel abandoned when we suffer. There are times when no one can console us - no friend, no relative, no one. When I realized I was never going to walk again, I became terrified. I worried that things would happen I couldn't manage from a wheelchair. I was afraid to be alone. I wanted God to take my paralysis away so that I could feel safe and whole. No matter how I begged God or bargained with Him, nothing changed physically.

I know that it was only then that I began to understand that Christ had modeled for us what to do when we are faced wtih situations that seem impossible or too much for us. We can pray. We can turn to God like Christ did in the garden.

Even though God did not spare Christ his sufferings, He never abandoned him. Once I understood this, a load was lifted off my shoulders. I knew that the problems I faced were not faced alone. God was by my side. I also realized that I could do anything and face anything with God. It was my choice. I could be angry and bitter that I wasn't getting my way or I could accept what had happened and pray for what I needed.

What may appear to be the ultimate act of surrender to God's will is really about trusting that God will always be there no matter what happens. This is the type of faith that frees us to follow the path we are given even when we have fears or reservations. With it we can face any situation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this post. I really think it's important what you said toward the end about doing God's will even when we are afraid. That's just the way it is sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I really related to this. I bargained and bargain with God and when that didn't work I got very angry. I found peace when I realized that I had to accept the way things were. Faith in God and in other people got me through. I am afraid people will see this kind of writing as "preachy" though but you know we get way beyond foxhole praying when we live with discrimination and pain and "inconvenience" every day. I dont have the guts however to write what you do. Glad you do.

Anonymous said...

hey this blog is good. goldchair sent me a link. I'm Catholic and have MS. It's rough because its getting worse but I'm hanging in. I don't go to church much. I guess I'm self conscious now that I use a wheelchair. Maybe it would help. I can relate to this and will be back. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

praying sometimes works for me. I like to talk to other people with disabilties too.

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Tom. I have ALS. I got an email from goldchair telling me about this blog. I wanted to say that as my ALS gets worse I am learning that God is more with me. I get frustrated and my wife has it hard. Pray for us please. God bless.