Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2006

article for high school students with disabilities...


...about how to prepare for the change to college!

This is an excellent link (click above) to an article written by a gal who works with disabled students at U of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She emphasizes "self reliance" as a coping skill for the transition from high school to college especially because she feels many high schools and parents don't prepare kids for the fact that college programs for the disabled just don't provide the level of service that high schools do.

I also found it to be a great parenting article about how to empower your young adult before he or she leaves the nest. I remember having a blind friend in college who was lost without the help of his mother - and this really made his transition tough. She realized all too late that she had not prepared him at all to do the simplest things for himself when away at college.

Of course all teens go through this...so empower yourself and rely on those brains that got you into college in the first place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a blog like this before. You have a lot of information on here. It's pretty interesting actually. I never had anyone disabled in my family but am Catholic. I see a few people in church in wheelchairs sometimes. Reading this blog has made me wonder who they are and how they feel at our church. I also read some of your readers comments about living in a wheelchair and it made me think about some of those challenges too. Will be back.