Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Adaptive gaming :TetraMouse and Lord of the Rings

I spent a few hours yesterday checking out a low cost adaptive gaming solution at the request of a reader. Basically I was looking for a free game he could play with a TetraMouse at a relatively low cost .

I knew that Lord of the Rings (LOTR) is now free up to a certain level online, so I decided to see if I could play it with my TetraMouse.  I've used the TetraMouse to play card games and casual games online, but this was the first time I was trying it out on a non-browser game, simply because I've been busy.

I loaded LOTR. There was no problem clicking in the game, but moving the character was an issue.  I placed the game in windowed mode and tried out a few onscreen keyboards to see if I could use those to move the character.

After trying a few (which all allowed me to make the character jump by hitting the space bar, but not move around) , I read a review on AbleGamers about the Comfort On-Screen Keyboard, which had a free evaluation trial. By using the up-down-left-right arrows on the virtual keyboard, I was able to move the character around the game easily. I also tried out the chat function and that worked well.  The keyboard is priced from $9.99 to $29.99, depending on the version - which isn't a bad deal considering it can also be used for things ... like school....or work.

Hopefully this solution will help my reader get back into gaming...

No comments: