Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wired - not!

I've added a new piece of adaptive equipment to my computer set-up - a tetra mouse. *

Basically, it's a way to move the mouse around the screen.  It clicks, drags and drops and allows me a lot more options than relying on just voice recognition. One of the reasons I chose it is because it's simple, easy and a durable way to get things accomplished.

I've only had it a few days, but already I've been able to go places, as they say, where everyone else already goes.  That is, I no longer avoid actually reading articles on sites because navigating the page is so difficult. I can move around at will, which is an odd feeling after spending so much time planning ahead to avoid moving a cursor.

Do I really need to go there? I would think.  Is there an aggregator, a short cut? Of course I found workarounds, but in the process I missed the freedom of going where I wanted to.

I personally dislike wires. I have a cordless headphone for my dictation and the tetra mouse doesn't have to be worn.   It sits in front of me on an articulating arm (much like that used for cameras).  If I want to use it, I do. If not, it's independent and doesn't need me to hold, coddle or otherwise engage with it. I like that in devices. At night I move it out of the way and tuck it in, so to speak, safely.

So my system leaves me free to roam around, unencumbered by wires and not having to worry if something is left on or running juice.  Freedom.  It allows me to think about what I'm writing, rather than to think about the technology!

*I'll be doing a review of the tetra mouse as soon as I've used it a bit longer.


4 comments:

Sutherland said...

Thank you for sharing. I am trying to understand how different disabilities affect individuals. While I am disabled, it isn't the same. My hope is that some day, by understanding others we can get society to see our different abilities, not our disabilites.

Thanks again.

p.s.: Have you ever said "They just don't get it", then you might like reading http://disabilitycondition.info/?p=108

Ruth said...

I really like your post! I agree that advocating is very important. Thanks so much for leaving a comment, nice to know your blog is out there.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you've ever read anything by Mark Smith, if you haven't here's a link http://powerchairdiaries.com/

Ruth said...

Yes, love Power Chair Diaries!