Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Not so smart car

One of my friends who works in the corporate world has been having an ongoing issue with parking her car in the employee lot so she can get into work. She has an accessible vehicle with a ramp so it requires a handicap spot with hashtag area to lower the ramp.

Anyway the company did provide a van accessible spot but other employees, mostly those without any disabled placard or plates, park in it irregardless of the fact that it's not only marked as a handicap parking spot but as reserved.

The other day a smart car without a disabled placard parked there. She said it was a very small smart car, so she parked next to it in a regular spot and was able to put her ramp down because of the extra room. When she came out the not so smart car had been towed.

I couldn't help chuckling though at the image of a smart car in a handicap spot with room left for the ramp on her car to go down, labeled not so smart car.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great minds must think alike. Wheelchair van accessible parking was on my mind today also. I posted an entry on a most ingenious and inexpensive solution Patti and I encountered out recently.
http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/2011/07/wheelchair-accessible-van-parking.html
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Ruth said...

I've never seen that! Glad you posted it. I have this happen all the time- since I go places alone- and its very frustrating! Nice to see a simple, inexpensive fix.

Jeff and Sheri said...

Nice idea, My wife and I resorted to using 28 inch triffic cones. To block off parking spaces at motels andresturants.

We keep 3 in our van, and have only had one cone moved in 2 years.