Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The sounds of spring.

Its nice to be outside in the spring

I spent so many years watching for sharp objects on the ground with air filled wheelchair tires that even when I got flat free tires on my power chair I winced when I run over branches, bottle caps or a bit of glass.

But i got over it, realizing ...There won't be any pfft sound No my tires will not be flat later. There won't be a mad rush to see if I have a spare tube or tire. In fact I could back up and go over that sharp object again. Take that and that and that.

Crunch! Squeak! Crackle!

The trick is to do it quickly. Forward. Crunch. Backward. Crunch.

Do it while saying hi to the neighbors. No way they'll catch on.

Hi. Crunch. How are you? Crunch.

Pass a bicyclist at a curbcut and do it on leaves Forward. Crackle. Back. Crackle.

Squeaks are harder to get away with. Folks start looking around and even underneath themselves. You can a,ways divert their attention by saying wow. Lots of squirrels this year. Makes them look under your tires as you pull away.

A typical day in the neighborhood.










No comments: