Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sorting through

Thank you all for your patience this week with my shorter posts. I'm using a headset to dictate this so there's good news -voice recognition is up and running. I'm up early on a Saturday morning to catch up on everything now that the voice recognition is working. I've actually been up since 5 AM because I'm so excited that I can write again!

I've spent much of the last 24 hours working on the profile for this new headset, which is a Plantronics USB audio 470. Headsets are not my favorite thing as a quadriplegic because you have to reach up to put them on but there's a little trick I use to level the playing field which is to put them on when reclined.

So what have I been doing without voice-recognition, you might ask? Using the phone and rustling up helpers for my correspondence and e-mail.

The one thing that I can do even when voice recognition doesn't work is send tweets through twitter via Hoot Suite. Hoot Suite has a browser button which allows me to click while on any webpage and it types out the headline of the article I want to send via twitter. It also has a scheduling button so that I can set up tweets for any time and don't have to do them live if I'm busy with work. I've found twitter to be an excellent tool for networking, keeping up with the latest technology, breaking stories and more in-depth coverage on international disability issues.

Of course all of that is interspersed with things you just have to sort through, like pictures of Snooky Ookums.

Am I glad the voice recognition is working!

No comments: