Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Wimbledon has great towels

I've always been jealous of the towels Wimbledon players get.

Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for all the paraphernalia I collected over the years when I played wheelchair tennis. There were free FILA jackets, Nike shirts, tournament shirts, and tennis wrist bands in neon colors. I also received about a hundred water bottles and t shirts. Once in a while, I received a hand towel.

But we never got those huge towels the Wimbledon players get. It's not just the size of the towel, but the purple and green colors for the men, pink and blue for the ladies, the royal plush look. Why not? It's Wimbledon.

The Queen of England showed up this week for the first time in 33 years to watch a match. I bet she got a towel. I bet the ball kids get a towel.

But do they appreciate it?

Watching the players carelessly toss around those Wimbledon towels as if they're not worth anything, sometimes even leaving one on a bench, just isn't easy.

So if anyone who reads this is at Wimbledon and someone happens to leave a towel behind, could you do me a favor and get one for me?

Can't hurt to ask.

In other Wimbledon news, there was a historic match this week, the longest tennis match ever played. And a tennis player escaped a lifetime ban after losing it and spitting at fans.

[Cross-posted at We Push Sports].

No comments: