Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Campaign to Cure Paralysis Map - add your name!

Ever wonder if other people living with paralysis live near you? Do you sometimes need a reminder that the community of people affected by paralysis - those of us who live with it, our families, friends and others -is quite large and diverse? Would you like to let others know you are out there as well, especially for those who are newly injured? How about helping to raise awareness of the Campaign to Cure Paralysis?

The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation is asking those affected by paralysis -- the injured, their families and friends, caregivers and professionals -- to add their names and stories to the Campaign to Cure Paralysis map, which has been relaunched with better visualization tools and an expanded access to the paralysis community.

They hope that this map will help raise the visibility of the paralysis community, and that those who add their names will also avail themselves of the resources on our site to help them.

You can find the map here. I encourage everyone to participate and be counted and to ask your families, friends, caregivers and professionals to join in as well.

If you've never visited the Reeve Foundation site, take a moment to do so and see the many resources they offer.

5 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Since this shows people's exact address if you zoom in, I don't think it's a good idea, esp. considering the (gag) dev. community.

Comment moderation verification word: "myspine" -- cool

william Peace said...

I have a particular and strong dislike for the Reeve Foundation but must admit this is interesting. I for one would never ad my name to this map because I could not in any way support the Reeve Foundation. Regardless, it is interesting to see where populations are massed and conversely absent.

Ruth said...

Frida,

I can understand your concern. I had the same one and just put in city/state. I just zoomed in on mine and it's not showing more than city/state. I also saw this in the directions:

Directions : For a pin to appear on the map you need to at least enter City, State or Country. Your street address will never be displayed, and the pin will be placed in the center of your street, not on your house.

So I guess it's up to the person to at least put city, state or country. Hope this helps.

FridaWrites said...

And yes, city/state should be fine; giving a whole street--I wouldn't do it since streets where I live are short (10 to 20 houses).

FridaWrites said...

In December when my husband was camping, I woke up to someone sitting in a car outside our house looking in our windows with night vision goggles. Devo, burglar, rapist--I don't know, I just still have the chills. I advise extreme caution.