Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Not overheard from a wheelchair

Walmart on a Sunday around here is like going to an Apple store when they bring a new product out. It's always busy. Let's go to Target, I tell my mother. But Walmart is cheaper, she says. Yeah, I tell her, but it's far less crowded in other stores.

Of course things can happen anywhere, not just in Walmart. Things tend to happen when it's more crowded, although I've had them happen in a place that's almost empty when another customer sees me as in their way and, without warning or saying anything, just pulls merchandise over my head or knocks into me.

When I used a manual chair, it was easier for me to extricate myself out of situations where I became surrounded by people. In my power chair, nicknamed the Beast, I'm reluctant, because I don't want to injure anyone. So when I'm looking at an item and someone steps behind or in front of me where there isn't really room, I'll ask them not to do that and they inevitably say "It's okay."

What's okay? I think. That if I breathe on my joystick your foot will be run over? That I can no longer move an inch now? That you're hanging over me and lifting merchandise over my head which inevitably you drop on me?

No, it's not okay.

I'll only be a minute, they say. (I think these folks are related to those who illegally use parking spots.)

Yesterday a woman literally hung her body behind the back of my power chair, knocking one of my wheelchair accessories into my face and glasses. She then dropped merchandise on my head,("oops!" she said) which hurt by the way, and when I asked her to back off since I couldn't move (someone else did the same to me in front), she said she wasn't doing anything wrong. Then she went into a tirade at me because she didn't go in front of me, she went in back of me so what was the issue? Clearly I was being unreasonable.

My face hurt. My head hurt. And, yes, this is the tirade she spewed at me while I sat there, physically trapped by her because I asked her to not hang over the back of my power chair.

Not overheard from a wheelchair: not an apology that she dropped something on my head, pushed my accessory into my face. In fact, I discovered later, my accessory is broken but since it was behind me, I couldn't tell.

Anyhow, while we all debate what causes this kind of behavior, I have to go work now to pay for things like new accessories. That stings because there are other items I could use, really use and they move lower on the list because of someone else's carelessness.

And although it can happen anywhere, next time I'll say "No, Mom, going to Walmart is not cheaper." At least not for me.

6 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Ooh, that makes me angry on your behalf, it really does. The kind of behavior you're describing is at a minimum aggravating. For me it can also be very painful just to be knocked into. People need to give wheelchairs some personal space and show some respect. We're not physical objects--while the chair is, we deserve the same physical space others do.

I really understand, Ruth. We also try to go places/at times when crowding is less, but there's only so much we can control, no matter how much planning is done.

Ruth said...

Frida,

Thanks, Frida.

What really hurts is I lost a $75 accessory. Not cheap. Very frustrating.

FridaWrites said...

Yes, that's really unfair for someone to do that.

Disabled NYC said...

Then there's the people who see you, but think they can dart in front of you while you slam on the brakes. 300 lb wheelchairs have a little something called momentum, you know?

Or worse, the people who dart behind you when you're trying to back up. You're going to get hit if I can't see you!

Terri said...

Man alive! What on earth are people thinking?? I don't get it.

blue girl said...

First, Hi Ruth! Long time not talk to.

Secondly, I'm with Terri. Man alive to the Nth degree! I cannot get over that people act like this. I do not understand it even one little bit. I am so sorry that you have to experience such awful, rude, inexcusable behavior. Makes me so angry. Grrrrrrrr.