Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Living in Northern Exposure

My friend in Delaware, who has seen 4 feet of snow in the past week or so, tells me that her dog now has to jump to go out to do his business. It's making him cranky.

I told her that things are a bit tense up here too. I spent the week dealing with power outages and a falling tree. In between the flickering lights and the decreasing temperatures in the house, I heard a cracking sound and a large thud.

When I looked outside, I saw that a pine tree had fallen over onto the porch. It was blocking the ramp, although, realistically speaking, I wasn't going anywhere in the blizzard.

There was a comical scene the next morning after the snow stopped. I stuck my head outside, my wheelchair caught in the branches of the pine tree. I could move - maybe a foot. The porch was covered with snow drifts.

My neighbor looked over, leaning on her shovel, and asked "Is everything alright?"

I think maybe that could win a caption contest.

All of this snow is doing something to everyone. The Winter Olympics isn't helping. That's just looking at more snow, even if it's shipped in.

I remembered this episode of Northern Exposure. It shows what happens when people get cooped up too long in the snow. They do things that are - funny. And that's good.

Because there's more snow on the way.

5 comments:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

I loved that show, stay warm!

Ruth said...

Thanks, Greg - you too

FridaWrites said...

Oh, I love Northern Exposure! We have all the episodes. You have a package going out in tomorrow's mail. :)

Ruth said...

Frida- love that show too! and. thanks!

Courageous Grace said...

Stay warm! We had over a foot of snow fall Thursday here in North Texas and trees were falling everywhere! Obviously Texas trees aren't designed for that kind of weight, LOL.