Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dear Ann Landers - I'm not surprised

When Ann Landers told off a reader who complained about having to watch a disabled woman eating in a restaurant because she wanted her rights respected, a bevy of folks wrote in with gems of their own on this issue.

One suggested a special section for handicapped folk - perhaps with palm trees "so they are not seen by" other diners. Another reader claimed handicapped folk just like to flaunt their disabilities to make able bodied people feel guilty (yes, it's all about them!) and he/she is too savvy to fall for that trap (watch out if you live in Sacramento for this one). A third one accused relatives of parading handicapped folk around- to make themselves look good.

Ann Landers says these folks are too far gone to write back too.

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. I've run into some of these folks out there.

5 comments:

Terri said...

That was from Sept 1986--I was so hoping 1956.

Jerks just don't go away... sigh...

Matthew Smith said...

I couldn't get the page to load in time, but it reminds me of people who complain about mothers breast-feeding their infants in front of them, and suggest that they go and do the feeding in the "bathroom" instead. Like you'd expect an adult to eat their lunch there! There was a story in one of the British papers the other day about a lady who got kicked off a bus for breast-feeding her baby, although the company apologised for it.

There's also an old story about a Black man who was travelling in economy class who found himself next to a white woman who kicked up a fuss because she didn't want to sit next to him. The woman called the cabin crew and pointed out that there were seats available in first class. The staff found out that she was correct, and told the pair of them that it was unreasonable for someone to have to sit next to someone so vile. Rather than give her the upgrade, though, they moved the man instead.

Troy Wittren said...

Interesting post. I am a cp'er who has eating challenges at times. Most restaurants and people are very understanding now. I recall being mimicked by a dad in front of his wife and 2 kids at a table next to my wife and I. Always wished such people could try a mile in my shoes.

FridaWrites said...

I'm sorry about that! People can stink sometimes. I have heard of families with children who have eating problems being ridiculed in public.

I also used to have trouble with breastfeeding in public--with one baby with stomach problems and the other with autism, we would never have been able to leave home if I didn't nurse in public. But I was yelled at--even though *completely* covered!

Disabled NYC said...

I wonder what the reaction to a similar letter today would be. I'd like to think we've progressed as a society, but there's one in every crowd...