Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Moments of ableism

There are moments of ableism: incidents that take up a few minutes of our lives, leaving sharp, jagged edges we can sometimes smooth out, but not always.

Other times ableist attitudes affect our lives for longer periods of time. They may leave dreams suspended or put unnecessary obstacles in our way that must be cleared away, inch by painful inch, as we watch months pass by.

Or ableism may shut doors for a lifetime.

Time and ableism coexist in our lives, sometimes colliding like super novas, stellar explosions that shatter into hot, molten fragments, falling to the ground to cool off after flooding our world with a light so painful we can barely look.

The particulars don't matter. Time does. We can't get the minutes, hours, days, months and years back that we've lost to ableism and its effects.

We want to live in a world now that doesn't have ableism.

We deserve better. Our children deserve better.



{this post was written for Blogging Against Disablism Day 2009. You can read others at the host site, Diary of a Goldfish.]

11 comments:

David said...

Thanks so much Ruth You're so right. Ableism hurts in all it's forms We all deserve better

seahorse said...

Sometimes less is more. You say it so well.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is one seriously powerful post, which I feel completely encompasses the feeling behind BADD.

Would it be okay if I linked to this?

Ruth said...

Thanks for coming by everyone. I've been rolling around to posts this morning, really great stuff.

angelkitten - sure. thank you for being part of BADD :)

FridaWrites said...

I haven't been able to write my post(s)--I actually want to write more than one--yet due to bad pain and concentration issues, but I wanted to say I enjoyed this post. And I love the metaphor in the comment above of rolling from post to post.

Ruth said...

Frida- I hope you feel better so you can write a post. Thanks.

Attila the Mom said...

You have such a lovely way with words. Thanks for posting this.

Ruth said...

Thanks very much and thanks for visiting :)

Full Tilt said...

I echo others praise of your post, Wheelie. Eloquent. I hope you'll roll by when you can.

Ruth said...

Hi Full Tilt,
I just rolled over - loved your post!!

Never That Easy said...

Yes Ma'am. The end.