Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

In a world starved for meditation

I was reminded today of C.S. Lewis' words from The Weight of Glory that "We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship."

I spend the majority of my work time focused on others' problems. I cherish whatever free time I can muster out of life, but have always been equally content to spend it with friends or in solitude. This surprises some people, although I'm not sure why. I don't understand the bad rap solitude gets because I find it quite rich spiritually and, although too much of it can be a bad thing, too little of it is much worse in my experience.

I wasted a number of precious hours this week on disability-related care issues and routine medical care issues that were poorly handled. So there was little to no progress. I finally realized that the only way for me to get through this is to use this time for solitude, silence and private, despite the fact that externally I may have none of the three.

This is not an easy feat when you're surrounded by screaming children - or even adults- and forms, rules, prodding, poking , and the like. It is, however, a real test of whether my ability to meditate is true and that's a challenge I'll take.

I can report back that although no progress at all was made with any of the outward concerns regarding care, that I had a wonderful time meditating in the midst of it all. Therefore, I'm not starved for meditation -or friendship -right now.

In fact, next to God, I believe I've finally learned how to be my own best friend.


5 comments:

Sarah Reinhard said...

Thanks for this, Ruth. A reminder I needed today (and this week). :)

Ruth said...

Sarah - :)

blue girl said...

Nice post, Ruth. I agree with you completely...learning to be one's own best friend is so important. I am experiencing a little too much solitude at the moment, but am still grateful. Or at least trying to be!

Ruth said...

BG: Sometimes it feels like riding waves - there will be an imbalance toward solitude and then all of a sudden you yearn for a day alone LOL take care...

blue girl said...

Ruth, I remember a few years ago, I was getting ready to go out to do something and I was trying to be all alone with my own thoughts when suddenly I realized how much the low buzz of the TV was getting in the way. We got into a bad habit as a family of having that thing on JUST BECAUSE.

Just changing that one habit has helped so much. Just to have quiet is so nice. It feels fulfilling -- all that silence.