Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Backing up the back up help

Meredith and I are in the process of looking for reliable back up help, something I'm on board with, although it may not seem that way when I start talking about my experiences with doing it.

Last evening is a prime example of why going through the process of getting back up help is so difficult. I made arrangements a week ahead of time for help to come and told Meredith all was well. When no one showed by 7 p.m., I placed a call and left a message. No one got back to me. At 8:30 p.m. I placed another call. I received a call at 10:00 p.m. saying she was on her way from a "friend" of hers.

At 11:00 p.m. I received a call from the person, who told me she forgot, went on a date, was exhausted and couldn't come over.

In the meantime, my toilet had overflowed earlier in the day. I had a person toss towels over the water until the backup showed. Now the wet towels were blocking my ingress and egress into the bathroom. I had to resolve the situation.

But at that late hour, who can you call? Options are limited, thus creating a really difficult, time consuming situation that has to be dealt with late at night when most people are winding down from work and getting ready for the next day.

Luckily, I was able to get the towels pushed up next to the tub with my power chair. I duct taped a reacher to my power chair and rolled back and forth until it worked. It took a long time, but less time than all the calls I'd have to make to get help. Unfortunately, however, I had to go without help for all my other needs which is disappointing but part of the process of getting backup "help". I got to bed pretty late too.

Some would say I have inadequate backup for my backup help. (Yes, this is what's so delightful is that I get blamed when other people don't show up for work.) Backing up the back up only works when you know the back up isn't coming. One thing I will have to do is to ALWAYS arrange back up help's arrival times earlier, so that if they don't show I can more easily call someone else. Some people want to come later, but until they establish a record of reliability, I can see I'm not going to be able to do that. I have obligations and responsibilities for my job.

Which raises the reason why this whole process gives me pause. Generally speaking, I spend more time arranging backup help than getting it. It's an exhausting and frustrating process, quite frankly, with the current situation of the shortage of reliable help.

11 comments:

FridaWrites said...

One of my friends also has problems getting employees who are reliable (her Meredith needed insurance through a job and more hours). As she's remarked, it's so surprising in this economy that people are not more reliable. I wish people understood that getting help isn't just an optional thing for people. I understand fatigue, but if someone's relying on an employee in that way, that person has to push through!

Ruth said...

Frida- yes especially when the backup was out on a date instead LOL I try to explain to folks that I'm relying on them, but the job just isn't for some people.

Even in this economy, it's hard to find people but I'm hoping the agency can help me out here. I try to use every available way to search because that just makes sense.

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Going through that with my folks right now......... check out http://www.good.state.al.us/Personal_Care_Attendant_Handbook.pdf
Goodluck!

Ruth said...

Greg, thanks for sharing that resource. Have a great day.

Ruth said...

Greg, Wow! pages 24 and 25 about giving feedback just about sum up what I've learned from working in my job over many years. Very good suggestions there about correcting behaviors, such as showing up late and terminating. Those are difficult areas for many.

I have two friends who have interviewed, respectively, over 30 people for jobs as aides and found one person who was qualified out of that number. Good backups take time and booklets like this help. I also wrote some pieces over at A Different Light called Hiring An Arm and a Leg which people say they have found helpful. The more info, the better for us all.

Full Tilt said...

Thanks for this Greg and Wheelie!

Sarah Reinhard said...

Ruth, wish I lived closer so I could help. As it is, I will continue to pray for you, small offering though that is. :)

Anonymous said...

Around here there's a shortage of people to hire for those jobs even though the economy is bad. The pay is so low and there's turnover. We can't find trained people to help care for our son. I have to let them get away with things so I can keep them and have a body to show up. Good luck.

Steve

Ruth said...

Sarah-thanks so much :) Prayers are always helpful and appreciated.

Steve - Thanks for your comments. I wish you luck too.

Bob said...

I guess you know a bit about getting and having an aide considering you've had the same one how many years now. Probably could write a book about it.

Ruth said...

Bob-
How are you doing?

Five going on six years I've had the same aide. Yeah I probably could- if I had time :)