Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The art of voice recognition

As a person with a disability who relies on a lot of assistive technology, I've always felt frustrated by the choices that are within my budget for voice recognition.

I think if I could afford the Legal version of dragon naturally speaking, I might feel less frustrated. I've spent many hours training other versions of dragon to try to turn them into a Legal version, but I've been unsuccessful. This is not to fault the company or the product, but they charge for phone calls, so it gets pretty expensive asking questions.

On the other hand, I've been very happy with my free copy of the built in vista speech recognition program. It's proven useful for desktop navigation, switching applications and web browsing. After doing the training, I found it required more correction then dragon naturally speaking, but over time it's picked up on accuracy. In fact, it's my program of choice when it comes to web browsing, emails, blogging and navigation. One caveat is that I've found that Vista voice recognition can't match dragon naturally speaking when writing documents.

2 comments:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

if you need help with dragon I'd be happy to help.

Ruth said...

That would be great. I'll email you, thanks!