Pages

Monday, February 2, 2009

Wonder in the van

My friend Sue's guide dog is named Wonder. She travels more than many people do and just returned from a cross country ski trip with Sue. Last night Sue and I decided to show Wonder my van.

I deployed the ramp and Wonder hesitated a moment. Then she led Sue up the ramp and inside the van, walked about a little in its spacious goodness and checked out the back seat. Ruth Anne, Sue's friend (yes, we've noted all Sue's friends are named Ruth, an odd coincidence) commented that Wonder was looking for her green blanket, which is usually put on the seat.

After a few minutes in the van, Sue planned to exit, but Wonder didn't want to budge. She apparently liked my van very much, which shows that she has good judgment about sweet rides. And I couldn't help but say how appropos it was that there was Wonder, in the van. Wonder in the van. Wonder. In the van.

And the three of us just stopped for a moment and thought about that, these friends who made sure I had outings before I got my van. (As did Wheelchair Dancer and our third companion, who couldn't be there last night.) It's about friendship, not geography, since Ruth Anne lives in California and Wheelchair Dancer travels and travels.

Living with my disability has taught me about wonder.

No comments: