Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Boxee : the future of TV?

This article talks about how Facebook integrated social media with the coverage of the inauguration on CNN. It has some interesting links to ways in which technology has advanced since the last event four years ago.

I've been invited to be an alpha user of the Windows version of Boxee, a software program that allows users to watch their videos, music, photos, movies and other links via one screen. It includes links to sites such as Hulu, CBS and last.fm, among many others. Users can add their own feeds as well to places such as Twitter. Boxee goes through your hard drive and brings together your music, photos and movies.

I'll be blogging more about this after I have a chance to use the software. What I like about it is that, since TV remotes are quite inaccessible to me, I can now use the accessibility that a computer provides to watch TV in other ways. These new, creative ways to combine our internet and TV usage actually become assistive technology for some of us with disabilities.

2 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Neat! My husband watches most television shows late and watches both them and movies on the computer so we can be together at the same time even though I'm not much of a tv watcher at all.

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

wow, sounds cool