Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Help Network

The National Veterans Foundation offers help to vets with live help available daily 9AM to 9PM. Operation Dignity is for veterans helping homeless vets. This site (Veteran's Help Network) offers help to vets and opportunities for people to learn about their experiences and extend a helping hand.They need volunteer attorneys. Fisher House offers help to families while a vet is hospitalized. And there is Welcome Back Veterans.

There are so many organizations doing good work, but we need to remember that our donations and our help as individuals is also important. Veterans returning home face a myriad of issues. This story, about the parents of a critically injured soldier who lingered for months before dying, shows what families often face. Then there are those who lack family support.

"Often when veterans return to civilian life the transition is difficult, and they are left to face a complex set of issues including psychological disorders, homelessness and unemployment," says Jim Gibbons, President and CEO, Goodwill Industries International. "Goodwill's holistic approach to providing services to veterans hinges on developing and maintaining working partnerships with other service providers to meet the multiple needs of the veteran seeking services. via www.marketwatch.com

Some of the first wheelchair users I met were vets. They were extraordinarily helpful to me. Many extended themselves by giving me wheelchair parts, helping me fix my chair, and spent hours talking to me about life in a wheelchair. I remember a few of these friends who have now passed on, who served in wars like Vietnam and Korea. I will always owe them a debt of gratitude and paying it forward is the best way I can think to do that.

Some of the vets from the current war who are newer to living with disabilities have contacted me. Many of these vets need the support of others from the disability community, who can ease their path in so many ways. Their spouses and family members also need your support. Opportunities to help folks like this are available over at any of these sites and many others. Donate to the USO, google for the site you'd like to donate even a dollar to. No amount is too small.

[To help soldiers still serving abroad in harm's way, visit anysoldier.com to send a care package. Busy? Use treatanysoldier.com for ready made packages. Call a VA hospital to volunteer to read to soldiers, a great way to connect with those dealing with disabilities.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apologies for posting off topic here -- I'm mostly leaving this comment because I wasn't able to find an email address to contact you directly.

I wanted to get in contact with you to see if you might be willing to copy/paste the following item from my blog into yours? I'm trying to encourage more people with disabilities, our loved ones, colleagues, and other allies to write emails to Obama to increase the visibility of disability issues among his staff. Letters are wanted not only from across the United States but also from around the world. The following Call to Action explains more about how and why:

http://wecando.wordpress.com/2008/11/07/disabilities-email-obama/

Ruth said...

Andrea,
No problem. Let me see if I can put your link on my sidebar with a message to keep it on top, okay? Otherwise, will do a post.