Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Time to stop hugging the panda

Chinese news sources report that a 20 year old student was hospitalized and underwent surgery after breaking into the panda Yang Yang's enclosure for a hug and receiving bites on his arms and legs. Pandas do look cute. Some folks act cute too, but there's a bite to it.

This made me think about my trip to the grocery store yesterday. I needed a bag of salad and a few apples to replenish the food I have delivered, so decided to stop in and just ask for help.

I went into the produce department and asked an employee to put three apples into a plastic bag. He held up a finger and asked the assistant manager, who was nearby, if he could do that.

"No, we don't do that," the assistant manager said. "We don't have apples in bags."

I repeated the request, that I wanted three apples put into a plastic bag.

"You want him to do that?" he asked. "Why? He has other things to do."

I explained that I needed the assistance due to a physical disability.

"Why?" he asked again, smirking.

I was sitting in a power chair with all kinds of cool gimp gear attached to it. Not as if I have an invisible disability. I realized that it was pretty obvious that I had two choices: go along with this possibly extended conversation which could lead anywhere or stop hugging the panda. Although on the surface service wasn't being refused, the assistant manager was doing everything he could to make my simple request into A Big Deal and Hassle So I Didn't Ask Again.

"Your store must provide assistance to customers with disabilities under the law," I stated firmly.

He blinked at me, then motioned to the employee. "You can help her," he said.

The employee assisted me. As he put the bag of apples on my wheelchair, the assistant manager yelled across the store in a very loud voice "Thank you for going out of your way for her!" to the employee. 'I hope she appreciates that she took up your time from doing your job!"

Other customers turned around to look.

The fact that this assistant manager chose to react in such a loud and public way gave me the opportunity to record the names and numbers of a few witnesses.

Time to stop hugging the panda. This kind of behavior isn't amusing or cute.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Greg- that's a good idea. I'm sure seniors, as well as people with disabilities,are being treated this way too.

Anonymous said...

What I always find amazing in these kinds of stories is that often the people making a fuss about providing such simple accommodations are actually spending a lot more time and energy *fighting* the accommodation they're supposed to provide, and then *complaining* about being forced to do it, than the actual accommodation itself consumes. They're kind of like a 3-year-old child who throws a 30-minute, utterly exhausting tantrum (exhausting for the kid, not just the parents) upon being asked to perform a 30-second task.

For both 3-year-old children and for stubborn adults, if they were looking at things more objectively and were actually honest with themselves, the real root behind these tantrum might be the same. They're not actually objecting to the time and energy they would have to expend to make these simple accommodations. What they're really objecting to is being asked to change their comfortable, familiar routines. Some people just have a hard time doing that kind of thing, at any age, no matter how trivial the change may seem to others. But adults have fewer excuses for failing to recognize that sometimes routines do have to change for good reason, and that sometimes it really IS easier on everyone, including themselves, if they can just learn to adapt to those changes rather than fighting them. It's sad that some people don't seem capable of doing this.

Ruth said...

Andrea,
It is sad. Lots of food for thought in your comment - for everyone. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Bizarre. And what could have been his motive? What had he to gain by acting in such a manner? Human motivation is an odd thing, most of the time based on self-interest, but I see none here. I do think the letter-to-the-editor is a top-notch idea, with a copy to the store's corporate headquarters.

The only thing similar I've ever encountered is the local Sears Auto Center refusing to let me air up the rear tires on my wheelchair. That was back when I used a w/chair with the bicycle-style rear tires. It was an inconvenience, but I could see the point. Any big corporation worries about slip-and-fall (or in this case) air-and-boom claims.

Gary www.garypresley.com

Anonymous said...

I went to the lingerie section of a department store where the aisles were narrow and asked for help. My wheelchair couldn't get by. The employee refused help. I didn't have time to find a manager but went to another store. Stores like this don't get my business.

Anonymous said...

It's not always convenient to go to different stores. I've received rude service in restaurants and stores and don't care to figure out why it happens, but do report it so the next person (maybe) doesn't have to deal with it.

Terri said...

My husband worked in the corporate offices for a grocery chain for years and if they heard about that sort of behavior from an employee it would have been handled--both individually and training would be held throughout the store.

I would reccommend a letter to corporate offices.

Ruth said...

Terri-

You're absolutely right that a letter to corporate offices is a good idea. But I would add that if it is handled via letter to the corporate office, I suggest to people that documentation of the training should be requested (or whatever accommodation is being asked for).


bette and hotwheelz-The ultimate solution I think is more transparency and accountability for compliance with the ADA to make the law effective in everyday life.

Gary- I once needed a screwdriver in a Sears store for a wheelchair that started to fall apart in the aisle. Same response LOL Luckily another customer had one with him and - yes- good question where my own set of tools where that day. I think in my tennis wheelchair bag!