Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

People like you

Noticed yesterday while reading an article online in the Chicago Sun Times, that my blog post Disabled, Not Disabled from the day after the election appeared in the Chicago Sun Times via Blogburst.

I needed that after finding not one, but two, inaccessible handicapped bathrooms yesterday. Got a pointless, senseless response from one of the managers, who muttered and said "We don't owe people like you nothing."

People like you.

I wasn't shocked or stunned, as I would have been years ago. But I did remember:

Disabled. Not disabled.

Words of hope for a better tomorrow.

5 comments:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Great post Ruth!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, Ruth! It's great you got the link like that and hopefully will inspire many more people with your words.

You go, girl!

Wheelchair Dancer said...

Well, I OWE people like you ... from you I have learned much

WCD

FridaWrites said...

Jaw dropped about manager response.

Great about the news! That's part of our mission, to let more and more people know about disability. Sometimes I worry I'm just blogging within the disability community too much--though there's a place for that given responses like the manager's--but I think word will get out more and more via blogs.

Ruth said...

Greg - thanks so much.

BG-thank you. I was particularly happy it was a Chicago paper.

WCD- it's mutual - have learned much from you too :)

Frida- I've been noticing more blog posts on online papers -increase in categories they cover too.